DURATION: 5HRS 4PM-9PM • LOCATION: CANBERRA • MAX SIX PARTICIPANTS • $245 PER PERSON
Believe it or not astro photography is easy to get started in! Within a few short hours I can teach you the basics of astro photography and open a new world to your images. But be warned, astro is addictive!
Over the course of an evening I’ll run you through the fundamentals you need to plan a successful astro shoot and capture the night’s sky. We’ll start in the classroom where we go through some basic theory including:
- My favorite planning apps for the phases of the moon and position of the stars
- Basic considerations for astro shooting such as the “500 rule”
- RAW v’s JPG for astro
- Composition composition composition!
- Camera configuration tailored to your equipment
- Fundamentals of single frame astro, star trails and panoramas
- My favorite processing programs for astro
Then we’ll head into the field ready for full astro dark, around 30 minutes from the Canberra CBD, where we’ll set up our cameras and for three hours we’ll shoot the amazing night sky and put that theory into practice
Note: post processing is not a part of this workshop
This is an introduction to astro photography workshop so it covers the basics without deep diving into the subject. The goal is to teach you how to successfully photograph the night sky. Heavy theory about stars and constellations, etc will not be covered here
This course is also aimed at photographers who are advanced beginners and up. It will help if you already understand the fundamental basics of how to use and control your camera’s shutter speed, aperture and ISO. If you’ve not yet gotten off auto mode then I highly recommend my Beginner’s DSRL and Mirrorless workshop
Astro photography equipment
- DSLR or Mirrorless camera, or a camera that you have full manual control over
- Wide lens of around 24mm or wider, with a large aperture preferably f/2.8
- Head torch
- Spare batteries – for both camera and torch
- Lots of warm clothing!
- Remote shutter trigger
- Additional lenses but leave your super zooms at home for this workshop
- More batteries!
- A second camera body, lens and tripod
You can cancel your position in the workshop at least two weeks out for a full refund, If you are cancelling at less than two weeks you will forfeit 50% of your booking fee, however, you can transfer your spot to someone else
I can control a lot of things but I can’t control the weather. Only in the event of heavy cloud cover will the field trip aspect of the workshop be cancelled – we’ll still do the classroom element and reschedule the night sky as soon as possible
About Glenn Martin
I have a no secrets philosophy to my photography and will share with you anything I can. I’m also a passionate photographer and an experienced workshop facilitator having taught photographers since 2016. I’m often told my teaching style is casual and relaxed which puts participants at ease
My astro images have won numerous awards including a Bronze at the 2017 Epson International Panorama Awards. I’ve captured many aspects of the night sky including the Milky Way, Aurora Australis, the moon eclipse and even the International Space Station going over Canberra